Monday, September 20, 2010


Seattle Trip-June 2010

I can not believe how far behind I am in update our family blog!! I am ashamed that our amazing journeys have not been documented as they happened. The summer was crazy busy, and not one single weekend went by that we didn't have something happening, I dare even say that most days were at least busy planning upcoming events. I feel it is important to do a re-cap of the main summertime happenings. The problem is, that things are going to be all over the place....different memory cards hold different images from different cameras, so it is going to be a lot of back and forth until I can get my crap together and stay forgive me in advance so for being a flake!!.....

Our ride to the airport. Spencer picked us up in his Father's van. In the big van, there was only one row of seats, which we squished 4 of us on, and I sat on the floor with all the luggage. It made me laugh on the way, bouncing around all over, Noah freaking out I was going to die.

Once in Seattle, we met up with my Uncle Mike and Nikki, and decided that we wanted to take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island and have dinner there, then ride it back at night to see the city lights. I LOVE ferry rides. The only other time the kids have been on a ferry was in Virginia, and they could not even tell we were on the water because it was so dark, that we just stayed in the car. This time we walked onto it so we just just walk around and explore the island on foot.

Oops! This picture didn't make it in the editing process. Just tilt your head. You will get the idea. Z and I.....I wonder how much longer until I can not hold him on my shoulders anymore?? Sad, sad thought. :(

Addie, Nikki and I.

My Girls.....

Zane, Gabe and Noah

My Boys....

A view of the Space Needle from the Ferry.

The sun setting through the clouds. I believe sunsets are one of the most amazing sights to matter where they are.

Fun story for you.....

So Uncle Mike tells us the ferry goes every 2o minutes until midnight. Sounded like a lot to me, but I am not one to question Uncle Mike. He is a smarty pants and carries a schedule around with him wherever we go. Nerd.

We get to the island, walk around for a bit trying to finding a 'Family Friendly' restaurant (dang kids!) Well, it seems like the entire island closes up at like 8:00. No where to really eat. We find a little coffee shop sit and have a snack and decide to head back to the city and have dinner since it is getting dark. We are on our way to the ferry, when we see we missed it by 3 minutes. It is still there, but they have closed everything up and will not let us on. Oh well, we can wait 20 minutes for the next one, no biggie, right Uncle Mike?? WRONG!! The next and final ferry for the night leaves at 11:45, which has us hanging around the ferry station for nearly 2 hours. We have hungry grumpy kids with nothing to do. I remembered there was a little grocery store about a mile away, so I walk down there and find that it is still open for another half hour. Thank God!! I buy some bread, lunch meat, cheese, crackers, yogurts and juice and haul it back to the ferry station, where I proceeded to open up my own little subway shop preparing sandwiches for everyone to get the grumblings out of their poor tummies. Funny what you can create from snagging plastic forks and condiments from a closed down deli. It was an adventure to say the least!
It was freezing and so late....but well worth the sights of the city at night. We didn't end up getting back to the hotel until after 2:00 in the morning, but luckily we are on vacation!

The next day we explored the city after picking up Gabe's race packet for the marathon. Of course we hit Pike's Place, which was a joke and I am sad we didn't hang out there longer, but the 2 cruise ships that unloaded that afternoon made it unbearable to enjoy.

We had a brilliant idea of walking to the Space Needle. I really enjoy walking around and exploring cities on foot. But, we have Mr. Noah, and he has a very hard time after a long period of walking up hills and long distances. I felt so bad that we completely wore him out. There were times he was holding himself up against buildings and lagging behind. He of course did not want to take a break and seem different than anyone else, so I stayed back with him and told him he was doing me a favor by staying back with me to keep me company. I hate those little reminders, that it is his HEART not his SPIRIT that can not keep going sometimes. After we spend time recovering and re hydrating, we took a cab back to Pikes Place to eat some lunch.

Vies from the top.

My Dad displaying his usual camera face....

Gabe with the city behind him.....

My boys playing and climbing...(of course)

Our 3 Ring Circus....

Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Marathon
Number #12 for Gabe

Never forget your camera and rely on the 17 year old daughter to take your family photos. We have more pictures of random strangers with funny mustaches and silly signs than we do of our trip. I brought Gabe some Gatorade while walking up a hill with him at mile 22.
Crap, mile 22....can you imagine?? YIKES!!

I was so worried we were not going to see him at the finish line. We parked by the Space Needle, which doesn't seem far from Q-West Field, but I can assure you when you are walking it and trying to get there at a specific time, it is dang far! We made it, within minutes of Gabe passing the finish. Uncle Marc and Aunt Becky were in town from Oregon, and they were also at the finish line to see Gabe. Sorry, no picture of them....
Addie was in charge of the camera, remember?!?!?!
We did get to have dinner with them later and meet their daughter-in-law Shauna and ADORABLE Granddaughter Matilda. I wish I had a picture of her to show you. Her eyes alone were so amazing, she is just a completely adorable little girl, and you can tell makes everyone around her happy.
The following day we decided to take it easy. Wanted to see the Troll under the Bridge. I guess we didn't realize how many people would be there that morning, but it was packed! There were these 2 girls there that were posing like they were models all over the bridge, and getting annoyed with everyone and their children when they were in the way. So of course, when we found the opportunity to copy their silly poses, we did!!

On our final day before we left, we went to see the grave of Jimi Hendrix.
It was a beautiful monument.
A very touching tribute to an amazing artist.

Afterwards, we just hung out around the sea side waiting before we had to catch our flights.
Gabe took the camera and was being silly trying to take some of the typical pictures Addie and all her friends always do. The camera up in the air, making silly faces.

I think he is getting very good at it!

This AMAZING shot of Mt. Raineer was taken from the airplane as we flew home. It was the perfect way to say goodbye to Seattle and promise to be back as soon as we could! Over all the trip was fantastic, and we are looking forward to our next family get away to Moab this Fall...then, KAUAI next summer for Addies Senior trip!

1 comment:

  1. AWE, love those pictures and sights. If Scott had his way and a great job we would be living in the Seattle area. . .maybe someday!
    Thanks for sharing :0)